Commonly Asked Questions
Please take a moment to review this list of commonly asked questions and then give us a call at our leasing office to schedule a tour of our community today.
1. What kind of pets do you allow? Do you permit exotic pets?
Our Community allows cats & dogs. We do not allow exotic pets.
2. How many pets may I have?
You may have a maximum of one cat or dog per bedroom not to exceed two pets per apartment.
3. Are there any deposits, special fees, or monthly charges to have a pet?
We charge a one-time, non-refundable Pet Fee of $350.00 and $25.00 per cat per month or $50.00 per dog per month.
4. What must I bring with me to tour an apartment?
We require one form of government issued photo ID to tour an apartment.
5. What are your fees and monthly charges?
We charge the following fees: Application Fee - $50.00 for the first applicant, $25.00 per additional occupant over 18 years of age; Month-to-Month Lease Option, Monthly Fee - $100.00 (After initial lease term); Lease Termination Fee – Penalty equal to two-month’s rent; Transfer Fee – mid-lease $500; NSF Fee - $35.00; Late Fee - $75.00; Corporate Application Fee - $100.00 plus $25.00 for each occupant over 18 years of age.
6. What are the income and credit qualifications?
Generally, your Credit Score must be over 600. However, we use a third party rating system that takes into account all your credit history in order to receive approval. Income qualifications: monthly income must at least be equal to 2.5 times the monthly rent.
7. What is acceptable “proof of income” to sign a lease?
We require one month of your most recent pay stubs to verify income or a most recent tax return.
8. What happens if I qualify for an apartment, but my roommate does not?
As long as the income for the approved roommate is sufficient to qualify for the apartment, the second roommate can be added as an occupant only ~ subject to an acceptable background check.
9. Is my security deposit totally refundable?
Security Deposits are refundable, however, before a refund is mailed back to you, outstanding charges including those from your account ledger or damages and cleaning charges for the apartment will be deducted. You will receive a complete accounting of the disposition of your Security Deposit, in writing within 30-days of the last day of your lease.
10. If I get a job transfer, can I break the lease?
Regardless of the reason, you may break your lease, however, early termination penalties will apply. The only exception is for Military personnel being transferred under Orders and a copy of these Orders are required.
11. Can I change to a month-to-month lease plan after my first year?
We do allow Month-to-Month Leases after the first year’s lease, however, we do charge an additional $100.00 MTM Fee above the new rent.
12. What utilities are included in my lease?
Some of our units include, Gas & Electric and/or heat; others do not. To be certain what utilities are included in the rent it is best to speak with our Leasing Specialist.
13. How long is the term of the lease?
Lease Terms are for one-year.
14. Do you accept leases for short terms?
Unfortunately, we do not accept short-term leases.
15. Am I required to have renters insurance?
Our Leases do not require that you carry renter’s insurance, however, we strongly recommend that you do so and you are advised that our insurance does NOT cover any of your personal loss and/or liability.
16. Do you offer furnished apartments?
At this time, we do not offer furnished apartments.
17. Do you offer corporate apartments?
We do offer corporate apartments; however, they are unfurnished.
18. If something needs to be repaired in my apartment, how do I report it?
Maintenance Requests must be in writing, via e-mail or through a call to our management office. Maintenance issues will not be addressed if they are directed toward any maintenance staff member. After-hour emergencies can be called into an emergency line and will be responded to by the on-call Service Technician.
19. When is my rent payment due?
Rent is due on or before the first day of each month regardless of the day of the week the first falls on.
20. What day of the month am I liable for a late charge?
Late charges are accessed at 4:30 PM on the fifth of the month.
21. Will you accept electronic payments from my bank?
We do not accept electronic payments from your bank, however, you can go online to http://www.rentpayment.com to pay your rent. You can find a link to pay your rent on-line on our website also.
22. Is there a place where I can pay my rent after office hours?
We do have a rent drop-box in the vestibule of the management office.
23. There is a person who might be staying with me for a while, is that permitted by the lease?
The Leasing Office must be notified if you will be having a visitor for an extended period. However, if they will be staying for a prolonged period of time, they should be added to the lease, as occupants; pending a background check and approval.
24. Do you have reserved parking?
We do not have reserved parking however ample spaces are available as well as garages for rent.
25. I have a motorcycle, where can I park it?
Motorcycles must be parked in the over-flow parking lot.
26. My children live with me in the summer; do I need to notify your office when they arrive?
Your children should be added to your initial lease as occupants of your apartment home.
27. Can I install my satellite dish at my apartment?
Generally not, please contact the leasing office for conditions.
28.Do you have cable services?
Comcast & Verizon are available to our Residents.
29. Does the property have a fitness center?
Yes, we have a Fitness Center that is open 24/7 for the convenience of our Residents.
30. Does the property have a swimming pool?
We do not.
31. Does the property offer on-site recycling?
We do have on-site re-cycling and encourage all of our Residents to participate.
32. Are gas grills permitted at your property?
Gas grills are permitted in our Community, charcoal grills are not. However, at all times, Fire Code Regulations and Community Rules must be followed.
33. Is there any additional storage space available at your property?
There are a few storage areas located on the property.
34. Are residents permitted to paint their apartment?
Residents are permitted to paint the walls of their apartment in order to feel more at home, however, they must paint the walls back to their original color prior to vacating.
35. Will you accept my delivery packages for me?
The office does not accept deliveries for residents.
36. Do you have a list of Preferred Employers?
United States Military Personnel, Homeland Security Personnel, FBI Employees and Local and State Police Officers.
37. How is your property different from the competition?
Our ideal location situated on a private wooded cul-de-sac in a beautiful residential neighborhood truly gives our valued Residents the best of both worlds. Our proximity to Overlook Medical Center and St. Barnabas Medical Center makes us the perfect location for Interns and Resident Doctors. And we are just minutes from both public transportation and major NJ highways to make commuting to many areas of NJ, New York City and Manhattan easily accessible. We are within walking distance to a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment venues. Our Community features a Fitness Center, Laundry Facility, Picnic Area and Garage rentals. We are adjacent to Denham Park where you can find a playground and basketball courts among other amenities. PGA Championship Host Baltusrol Golf Club is 1.5 miles from our Community and Paper Mill Playhouse is only 2-miles away. Travel is easy; Newark International Airport is only 15 minutes from your door.
38. Do you have a pool at the property?
We are in Springfield Township and there is a beautiful community pool and day camp close by. Please click on this link for more information:
Once inside our one and two-bedroom apartment homes you will find the amenities you want and deserve to make your life comfortable! Come home to Short Hills Club Village today!